What’s in a name?

Tradition of the Southern Arizona Architectural Style and Names of Red Hawk J6 Homes

With its rich history in mining and search for wealth, Southern Arizona is home to over 80 towns of the 1800’s (ghost towns). Each with its own history of determination, resilience and intrigue The Southwest lives on in spirit and beauty and the riches that attracted the settlers of the 1800’s.

The building aesthetics of historic southwest architecture are characterized by heavy stucco walls and pitched metal roofs.

This style evolved in the desert southwest in response to the local climate and available materials. Warm summers interrupted by torrential monsoon rains and winters that produce occasional snow, called for strong roof forms that readily shed precipitation and the high ceilings that encouraged passive ventilation and let hot air rise above the habitable space. The traditional, thick walls delayed the heat transfer of the day until the cool of night. In the winter, the walls radiated the gathered heat into the interior as the outside temperature fell.

Territorial
Southwest Desert Modern
Southwest

The Territorial, and Southwest Models pay homage to this historic architectural aesthetic yet use modern building technologies. The exterior walls are Tyvek wrapped then stuccoed over 2×6 wood frame with BASF Open Cell Polyurethane Spray Foam Insulation and gypsum board at the interior side. An occasional offset in the lower portion of the territorial exterior walls creates a visual accent and recalls the ‘guardapolvos’ or ‘dust guard’ bases seen in traditional Mexican architecture.

Southwest Desert Modern morphs from the Traditional Styles of the Southwest. Glass, angles, stone and multiple covered patios are characteristic of this Style.

The homes may be appointed with an optional energy package that includes 10 smart Deako light switches, a Rheem 66-gallon hybrid hot water heater, Mitsubishi Mini Split air conditioning, and living pattern NEST smart thermostats. All homes are solar ready to accept an array of solar panels.

The Homes of Red Hawk at J6 are named after the wonderful and intriguing towns and places that represent Southern Arizona’s past and historical surroundings.

Sky Island – The term Sky Island, “mountain island in a desert sea”, was popularized by nature writer Weldon Heald, a resident of southeastern Arizona. The term salutes the beauty of the southwest.

Pearce – The town of Pearce was established in 1984 by James Pearce, miner and cattleman. After dismounting his horse, he sat down and relaxed, idly picking up a rock and hitting it on a nearby rock ledge.  It broke, and the break showed gold!  Thus, was born the Commonwealth mine, said to be one of the richest mines ever found in Arizona, producing over fifteen million dollars in gold. 

Fairbank – Founded in 1882 when the railroad established a station nearby to the J6 ranch. 

Charleston – Charleston was located on the San Pedro river about 6 miles south of Fairbanks. The Tombstone Epitaph on May 6, 1882 noted “Charleston has a very extensive trade with the surrounding country and Sonora.  Its Mexican business is daily becoming more important, and it will continue to increase until it reaches very large proportions.  The town is well regulated and free from turmoil.  In fact, it is one of the most peaceful places we were ever in.”

Cascabel – Located on the San Pedro River, north of Benson, Arizona. Cascabel means “bell or rattle”.  Home to a growing arts community there is an arts and crafts festival held every year in December. 

Palmerlee – This town initially was a mining camp know as Reef and if you hike into the area you will see a geological feature that gave it this name.  The towns name was then changed to Palmerlee in the early 1900’s.  And then finally to Garces.

Gleeson – The post office here opened in 1890 under the name Turquoise and closed in 1894. The site of Turquoise was established by Indians who mined the gemstones in the area later to be called Turquoise Mountain. Tiffany & Company acquired the mines in 1890.

Middlemarch – Middlemarch mining camp was located in the middle pass of the Dragoon mountains about 6 miles southwest of Pearce.  Said to have been the “middle march” of the military in early days between Fort Bowie and Fort Huachuca.

Terrenate – Founded in 1742 and is located southwest of the Huachuca Mountains. Late in 1775 Santa Cruz de Terrenate was relocated to the area of Fairbanks.  This was one of a series of forts or as the Spanish called them “Presidios” that were set up to guard the northern reaches of “New Spain”.  The presidios also contained missions as this was the second part of their function. 

Reef – Named for a conspicuous reef of rock (Carr Reef), a series of quartzite cliffs running along the eastern side of the Huachuca Mountains, a noted landmark. 

Red Hawk Tucson Office, 1650 North Kolb, Suite 132, Tucson AZ, 85715

  • Helen Baker (520) 360-0944

Red Hawk Sales Office – I-10 and J6 Ranch Road, follow signs south to sales office

  • Jim Vermilyea (520) 526-4295